The following is a Facebook conversation I thought the rest of you might enjoy:
Patty Redd Kennington Trying to declutter 35 years of living in this house! Any advice?
Casey Redd Kennington at 8:10pm June 23
Let Katie come help you. She will get rid of everything. (What really happened was they brought 3 pickup loads of stuff to our house and are storing it here while they are in Germany.)
Chandra Luke at 8:38pm June 23
Make yourself some piles. First, start with things you can throw away and things you can't. Throw the first pile away. Second, separate your pile of things that you can't throw away into things you can throw away and things you can't throw away. Throw the appropriate pile away. Repeat until you're down to a good amount! That's what I do, at least. :)
Amanda Austin at 9:03pm June 23
why are you moving?
Patty Redd Kennington at 9:18pm June 23
Not moving, just trying to simplify! I don't want my children to have to clean out 35 years of stuff for me!
Amanda Austin at 9:36pm June 23
Oh just do what my in-laws did and go on a mission and let you childern throw stuff away.
Jennifer Redd Kurt at 10:34pm June 23
As mom told me once.... BE BRUTAL!! havent' thought about it, or used it in one year? out it goes... if you don't love it... out it goes.... take a photo.... then out it goes.... less room to store a digital photo.... I follow my own advice when I have the time........................ I clean in spurts.
Laurel Redd Feddock at 11:03pm June 23
Two words. Be ruthless.
Laurel Redd Feddock at 11:05pm June 23
You've all inspired me. I'm going to get rid of all the clothes in my closet I don't wear or think about so I can put the clothes that I DO wear, in there.
Patty Redd Kennington at 4:53pm June 24
Where are you putting the clothes you wear now, Laurel?
Laurel Redd Feddock at 5:22pm June 24
I was afraid you'd ask. I often keep them in a neat pile on the floor next to my bed. I don't know why I think I'm going to fit those ones in the closet EVER AGAIN! What, me bitter?
Patty Redd Kennington at 4:53pm June 24
It seems Ruthless and Brutal are essential for decluttering, along with putting things in piles. I just made a pile of stuff to put in the trash and another one to get rid of at Casey and Katie's yard sale! Hooray for me! Thanks for all the great encouragement and advice!
Laurel Redd Feddock at 5:24pm June 24
Good work, Sis. I'm proud of you!It's easier for me to de-clutter someone else's things. Like Mikey's toy chest. Toss. Toss. Toss. Easy!
Patty Redd Kennington Going to Yakima tomorrow with a pickup load of stuff to leave with Carrie! Another brutal method of decluttering.
Laurel Redd Feddock at 5:26pm June 24
Awesome! Don't stop now!
Sharon Snider at 6:03pm June 24
ha ha. Pay back, or kindness. Where are they going to put it in the full little house?
Linda Robinson at 6:36pm June 24
Can you hear mom's voice saying "Be ruthless!"? I think it is embarrassing that we had to rent a dumpster when we moved after 14 years. Taking stuff to Carrie is shades of giving stuff to younger sisters so it is no longer your responsibility, but you get to keep it in the family. It's a good plan.
Laurel Redd Feddock at 9:13pm June 24
Linda, you are funny. One really good way to keep things thinned out is to live in a 2-bedroom apartment with no garage. It forces life to be simpler. For instance, our coat closet is also the garage so Michael's tools are kept in there. So are the jigsaw puzzles and games. And the vacuum.
Linda Robinson at 11:46pm June 24
Lar, you are so right about other people's stuff. I can certainly see what other people should get rid of. Mine, on the other hand, is much too valuable/sentimental/cute to even think about throwing away.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment